The Business Office is responsible for processing all expenditure items related to University travel, and ensuring that all expenditures are compliant with applicable State of Kansas and PSU policies.


Travel Related Policies and Procedures

University personnel (or other individuals representing the university such as independent contractors or students) may be required to travel in fulfilling their official duties for the University.  Authorization for travel is required for those trips exceeding $1,000 in total estimated expenses.  A "Travel Request Form" should be completed and sent to the Business Office with the appropriate signatures.  If the total estimated expenses exceed $1,000 but the University is providing funding for less than that amount or no funding at all, a T-form is still required.  The Business Office will assign a T-Form number and return a copy of the form to the department contact person.  This T-Form number must be included with all expenditures associated with the trip.

Travel Request Forms may be completed for trips up to $1,000 at the discretion of the department.  However, only those exceeding $1,000 should be submitted to the Business Office.

Note that if actual expenditures exceed the approved T-Form total estimate by more than 10%, an amended Travel Request Form must be submitted to the Business Office.

Travel expenses can either be paid via PSU's Business Procurement Card (preferred method), or may be reimbursed to the traveler once the trip is completed.  The traveler is responsible for ensuring that proper documentation for all expenses is provided upon trip completion. 

The University policy for travel reimbursement is that of the State of Kansas, except for those policies approved separately and paid from local funds for employees of the University Advancement Division from PSU Foundation funds, and for the Department of Intercollegiate Athletics from Student Activity funds.

A cash advance request must be submitted via the Expenses module in GUS Cloud.  A signed Travel Request Form (T-Form) should be attached to the cash advance request.  By submitting the cash advance request, the traveler is agreeing that all receipts for expenses incurred during travel will be submitted on an expense report within two business days after the end of the trip.  Any unused funds must be deposited at the Cashier's Office prior to submitting the expense report so that a receipt may be attached.  If the cash advance request is approved by the Business Office Assistant Controller, a check will be issued two business days prior to the trip start date noted in the cash advance request. 

Reimbursement of expense for meals will be paid using the federal standards for per diem rates, as required by the State of Kansas.

Per Diem rates for the State of Kansas shall consist of the following:

o Meals and Incidentals Expense (M&IE) rate

  • Meals – the cost of meals, taxes, and tips.
  • Incidentals Expense – all fees and tips to hotel porters, bellhops, doormen, and maids.
    • The only tips that will be allowed are transportation related.
  • For International travel, the allowance for paying actual meal expenses with receipts is discontinued.

o Reduced Meal Allowance for Meals Provided at No Cost to the Employee

  • If meals are provided during a given travel day, the department will reduce the M&IE rate by the amount of the meal that was provided, based on 15%, 35% or 50% (breakfast, lunch or dinner) of the daily M&IE rate. For partial days, the quarter amount is calculated first and then the meal deduction % is applied.
  • If all meals are provided for a day, the reduction to the M&IE rate will be 100% and there will be no allowance for incidentals expense reimbursed to the traveler.

o Same Day Travel Meal Allowance

  • For employees that qualify for a same-day travel meal allowance, the department will enter the appropriate amount to be reimbursed based on 15%, 35% or 50% (breakfast, lunch or dinner) of the daily M&IE rate. The meal is to be determined by the department, but should be appropriate for the time of travel.

FAQ's regarding one day travel (St of Kansas website)


As authorized by K.S.A.75-3203a, the Secretary of Administration has fixed the private vehicle maximum mileage reimbursement rates:

$0.575 per mile for privately owned automobile 

$0.545 per mile for privately owned motorcycle

$0.17 per mile for moving mileage rate 

$1.26 per mile for privately owned airplane (based on air miles rather than highway miles) 



In some scenarios for conducting official business, a rental car may be the most advantageous mode of travel (such as when no public or other ordinary transportation is available).  When this is the case, the most economical mode of rental car should be utilized.  Justification should be provided when submitting rental car transactions in GUS Cloud if the class of vehicle is something other than the most economical.

A person must have a valid driver's license to operate a state-owned, leased or rented vehicle.  Only other state employees or individuals reasonably engaged in official state business are allowed to ride in state-owned, leased, or rented vehicles.

The University has adopted a policy of required use of the procurement card for all purchases when feasible.  The VISA sponsored Pcard includes a collision damage waiver provision therefore providing adequate insurance coverage for covered vehicles* rented with the card.  Employees should decline the collision damage waiver insurance when renting vehicles with the Pcard.  Use of the Pcard would not be appropriate if persons riding in the vehicle are not state employees or engaged in official state business.  The collision damage waiver and supplemental liability protection insurance should be purchased when the insurance is not provided by the Pcard.  Travelers are responsible for ensuring that the rented vehicle is properly insured in all cases.

Personal Effects Insurance may only be purchased/reimbursed when the traveler is transporting an University asset of value that justifies the additional cost of the insurance.  Justification for the additional cost of the collision damage waiver, supplemental liability, or personal effects insurance purchased on a rented vehicle will need to be approved at the discretion of the department head.  Documentation of this justification and approval will need to be submitted with the rental car receipt.  Any other supplemental insurance is considered to be a personal expense and is not reimbursable.  

*The VISA policy defines which vehicles are considered as 'covered vehicles'.  Excluded worldwide are: expensive, exotic, and antique automobiles; certain vans; vehicles that have an open cargo bed; trucks; motorcycles, mopeds, and motorbikes; limousines; and recreational vehicles.  The benefit is provided for only those vans manufactured and designed to transport a maximum of eight (8) people including the driver and which is used exclusively to transport people.

Click here for information on insurance coverage scenarios.  For questions regarding contracts for rental vehicles, please contact the Purchasing Office at 620-235-4167.

PSU Business Procurement Card

Payment of business lodging is allowed using PSU's Pcard.  A paid receipt from the lodging establishment must be provided.  The lodging receipt must include a detailed description of all charges including dates of stay, base rate of the room, and applicable taxes and fees.  No personal charges are allowed on the Pcard.

If the traveler does not have a PSU Procurement Card the departmental Pcard may be used to cover lodging charges.  The cardholder information needs to be given to the lodging establishment via a Third Party Authorization Form.  Some lodging establishments require you to use their company specific form so the traveler should inquire as to form requirements when making their reservation.  Questions concerning this procedure may be directed to the Purchasing Office at Ext. 4167.

Employee Reimbursement

Employees may be reimbursed for actual lodging expense incurred.  Any expense for tips to hotel porters, bellhops, doormen, and maids are not allowed (this expense is included in the M&IE rate) . The total amount for lodging may not exceed the established lodging expense limitations established by CONUS/OCONUS and U.S. Department of State. Taxes associated with lodging are not considered when applying the maximum lodging limit to the traveler's lodging rate.

Lodging expense reimbursement is limited to the lodging establishment's lowest available rate for normal single occupancy on the day (or days) the lodging expense was incurred. The official receipt from the lodging establishment must be submitted with the employee's GUS Cloud Expense Report for reimbursement. Receipts provided to employees using express checkout are also acceptable provided that the dates of lodging, the daily room rate, and the total lodging charges are in agreement.

Employees are not required to share lodging accommodations with other state employees when traveling. However, if employees choose to share lodging accommodations, one employee may be reimbursed for the entire room charge.

Direct Payment of Lodging Expenses

PSU may pay lodging expenses directly to lodging establishments on behalf of state employees in travel status on official state business. Advance payment to employees for lodging is not authorized.
Each payment request for lodging expense should include the name of traveler(s), date(s) of lodging, location of lodging, daily room rate, and purpose of travel.  Direct payment of lodging does not supersede or replace any requirements for out-of-state travel approval, approval to exceed lodging rates, or actual conference lodging reimbursement.

Actual Conference Lodging

PSU may authorize payment or reimbursement for actual lodging expenses when an employee is required or authorized to attend a conference, and the lodging rate exceeds 150% of the allowable daily rate. The Business Office must be provided with conference materials indicating the conference hotel and applicable conference lodging rates.  The term "conference" means any seminar, association meeting, clinic, colloquium, convention, symposium, or similar gathering that is attended by a state employee in pursuit of a goal, obligation, function, or duty imposed upon PSU or performed on behalf of PSU.

PSU employees should travel by transportation available to the general public such as commercial air flights, passenger trains, buses, etc., if the transportation is determined to be the most economical and advantageous to the University.  The State of Kansas does not allow for the payment of any travel upgrades, early/priority boarding, or other additional fees.

Expense incurred for transportation should be paid using PSU's Business Procurement Card, but may be reimbursed to the traveler in some cases.  Reimbursement to employees cannot occur until the travel is completed.  Employees may also be reimbursed for transportation expenses and parking fees incurred for travel to and from the official station (PSU) or domicile to the airport or other terminal.